Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Off to my site

So last week I finally figured out where I will be spending the next few years here in the Dominican Republic, and visited it over the weekend. I am in the region of San Juan and am locatated in a campo that is a little bit north of Las Matas de Farfan, the closest bigger city to me. My host family there is really nice, I live in a house with a host mom and dad, and one of their neighbors, an older women who lives alone, always is at my house helping with the cooking. My site is pretty dry, it doesn't really rain to often there, and its hot, but at least i am used to the heat from living in Florida. My community is pretty rural, most people have some farm land where they grow, sugarcane, yuca, juandules (they are pea like things that grow on little trees), and other root vegetables. Also a lot of people have cows and cow pastures, there are "gangs" of sheep and goats that roam the street, and tons of chickens at almost every house. Also most people have either a horse or donkey as their main mode of transportation (as well as the occasional motorcycle). I have electricity pretty regularly (but there are no internet cafes, its pretty remote place) and also water coming from a hose because a former peace corp volunteer helped to build an aqueduct there in previous years. I have cellphone signal when i climb up a little hill, but not in my house. I use a latrine for my bathroom, and also bath ouside in a little shed thing using water from buckets. I like my site but i think it'll take me a few weeks to get used to life out there, especially being more isolated than i have been the past 2 months. But there is a lot of projects i'll be able to do there.

Today we are going to be graduating and tomorrow we have an all volunteer conference where all the volunteers in the country come to Santo Domingo, which will be fun to get to meet all of the other volunteers. Then on Friday i go back to my site. But we are about to start the day, so thats all for now. Hope everyone doing well back home.

No comments:

Post a Comment